Unity 5.8 has just landed in Ubuntu 12.04, bringing a serious amount of fixes, as well as new features.
What is new in Unity 5.8?
- option to set a launcher per primary display (one launcher on multiple screens) or a launcher per display (multiple launchers on multiple screens) under
System Settings-->Displays-->Launcher Placement
- support to enable/disable launcher's sticky edge behavior (when circulating the mouse between screens) under
System Settings-->Displays-->Sticky Edge-->check ON/OFF
- fancy HUD animation on summoning
- massive amount of minor visual enhancements (new Dash optimized colors, properly aligned Dash items, cleanly rendered Dash icons removing the white-ish ghost-like distortions, improved launcher color saturation, tweaked Dash fonts, etc)
- serious amount of bug fixes for multimonitor environments
- new message when the search doesn't return found items, "Sorry, there is nothing that matches your search"
- updated Keyboard shortcut overlay
- improved Notify OSD's chameleonic aspect with nicer colors
- the HUD respects now launcher's states (if the launcher is visible, the HUD blends with it, if the launcher is set on autohide, the HUD is displayed as an independent/single entity)
- various performance improvements