Add the user menu block here or your own custom code×
Ubuntu 12.10's new design perspective released
Ubuntu 12.04 final hasn't been released until now, yet, Ubuntu developers have already started the work on Ubuntu 12.10, from a design point-of-view, introducing new interesting features.
In Ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04, when an application have multiple instances simultaneously opened, its Unity launcher icon "gains" several dots (symbolizing numerous instances), when users left-click on that launcher icon, the windows are displayed in Spread mode, thus users can easily choose, observe, act upon them.
According to the design team, the Spread is to be evolved and enhanced, adding to the at-the-moment behavior:
- windows are displayed respecting screen's real estate, thus exposing the windows in a proper, optimal size
- when on hover over the windows, their name is displayed in their titlebar
- close buttons will be exposed on windows, allowing easy, directly-from-the window close
- enhanced power user support (hitting Super+particular number will trigger the Spread with the ability to further press a window's displayed number to focus it, thus ditching the rest of the windows)
- new "ghost"/false window, useful for newcomers (middle-clicking on the launcher icon may be an unknown shortcut for a new user searching to add another extra instance, aspect fixed by the new behavior where a new add-a-new-window like ghost area is to be intuitive and clickable when creating new instances)
- support for filtering windows via search
The design team has put together an in-depth document, touching the future implementation of Spread step-by-step on https://docs.google.com/a/canonical.com/document/d/1EdrlUuZvA9P8-BZufUU2...
- Unity 7 updated in Trusty Tahr with refined spread mode
- How to easily display the username on the Unity panel in Ubuntu 13.10
- Unity 7 updated in Ubuntu 13.10 with new fixes and optimizations
- Unity 7.1.2 landed in Ubuntu 13.10 with fixes and optimizations
- Unity 7 updated with minor-yet-relevant new names in Ubuntu 13.10