The Blender Foundation has proudly released Blender 2.57, "the first stable release of the Blender 2.5 series, representing the culmination of many years of redesign and development work".
This "stable" naming of 2.57 release is based on more than 1000 fixes and features completed/updated, changes made since Blender 2.5 BETA.
What is new in Blender 2.57?
- huge improvements in stability
- a new awesome clearer GUI layout with a new icon set
- a new file browser
- Blender 2.53's Python scripts are named "Add-ons" now (you can enable and disable it individually)
- drawing and editing performance have been increased significantly (as a result of sculpt mode being optimized)
- SVG Vector Graphics import
- and much more (for an in-depth technical view, take a look here)
How do we install Blender 2.57?
Just add the following PPA (Karmic, Lucid, Maverick, Natty )
"This PPA contains recent builds of the Blender SVN trunk branch. Please note that these are development builds and may contain bugs".
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cheleb/blender-svn
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install blender